Sunday, April 1, 2012

I likely need to get out more.....


There is a mass that I really like to play with on our dogs (don't often see them on cats). It is called a sebaceous cyst. They are absolutely benign and don't usually cause issues. I have seen them as small as a pin head to the size of a kiwi.

All dogs have sebaceous glands that excrete sebum (oil). This oil keeps their skin from being dry and full of dander. If the gland becomes blocked, a cyst forms. The cyst can go away on its own but sometimes I get to help out.

Any lump or mass found on your pet should be aspirated (place a needle in the mass and draw out cells). Sebaceous cysts often have a feel to them that I have learned to appreciate and instead of using a 22G needle, I go with a bigger 18G one. This will give me a big enough opening to express the contents. Sometimes the lining of the cyst starts to come with it and I try to get that out too. No lining equals no more cystic material.

The thing about doing a good job and getting everything, including the lining, is that they won't come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment