Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You ate what???


When I went to work this morning, I only had one surgery scheduled. That meant I would have time to do all the paperwork I’ve been putting off. I almost got myself two coffees at Tim’s to make sure I could stay awake. Turns out I wouldn’t need the one I had!

While PJ and Kelly (my AHTs) were prepping my neuter for surgery, I had a walk-in appointment. Juno had not been feeling well for a few days and was progressively getting worse. She might have eaten a hockey sock or two as she had vomited one up earlier. Entering the room showed a very different dog than I was used to handling. My happy monkey was now very depressed with a painful abdomen.

We did radiographs and in addition to the odd intestinal pattern there was also loss of detail in the cranial abdomen. The decision was to immediately go to surgery. I was so proud of my staff getting me in so quickly and efficiently. Kelly was monitoring and PJ scrubbed in to help.

The foreign body extended from the pylorus (stomach) through to the jejunum. As you can see from the picture, the intestines I’m holding are abnormal. They should look like the ones on the left of the picture. The problem area has the intestines plicated (squished together tightly). This caused a 12 inch section to die from lack of blood supply.

The foreign body was about 24 inches long. I had to wait until the surgery was done and Juno recovered before I could rinse the “thing”. It turned out to be a part of a dishcloth.

1 comment:

  1. We have now officially passed the 24 hour mark and she is looking better. We went for a very short walk and returned for a very light snack. So proud of Juno's progress!!

    ReplyDelete