Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sunday Fun

So people have been telling me that I need to get out more. For some reason, me having so much fun playing with sebaceous cysts and abcessing kind of freaks people out.

Well, I got out of Okotoks and went to a seminar in Calgary this past Sunday. I bet you're thinking its not much of an improvement BUT it was about behaviour. Dr. Horwitz came up from St. Louis to talk to the Calgary Academy of Veterinary Medicine. It was a great review and she had some great videos of inappropriate behaviour. The one that had me watching with one eye open was the one of the child sitting in the corner with the dog while it was trying to eat. It was a very patient dog but you could see it getting more and more stressed as time progressed. The dog did escalate to lifting its lip and the video stopped.

If somebody bugs me while I'm eating, I am not exactly the most polite person in the world. (Most people have learned never to do it more than once!). Think of it from the dog's perspective. For whatever reason, us humans have decided its okay for us to bug our dogs while they are eating. Why? I bet there would be a lot less bites occuring at meal time if they were only allowed to eat in another room or in their crate by themselves.

Dr. Horwitz talk gave me a lot of ideas so when I have time....... : )

No comments:

Post a Comment