Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oh boy! Here's a new one


Last week, someone brought in a bird that had flown into their window. When it did not get up and fly away, this person picked it up, put it in a carrier and in they came.

When I looked at the bird, it did look a little odd. One of those I’m looking at you but not really seeing you moments. I picked him up to check for broken bones and he tried to bite but he couldn’t succeed. His beak and eye coordination were off by a half inch. As I’m thinking “if I didn’t know better I’d say he was drunk”, Lindsay walked up. She took one look and said “that’s a Cedar waxwing and he is as drunk as a skunk”.

After we sent him home with directions to keep him in the carrier for a couple of hours (to sleep it off), I started to look into these little guys. Cedar waxwings eat a primarily fruit diet and some insects. They eat the fruit whole (so when the berries are overripe and have started to ferment…..). Another cute thing I found out is that during courtship the males will often pass the female a small gift such as a fruit, insect or flower petal. They will pass it back and forth until the female decides to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment