Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Young Man's Good Deed


On my way home from yoga on Monday, I got a call from my neighbours. My buddy, Branko, had found a bird with an injured wing. Branko was waiting for me outside and had the bird in a sturdy bag. I took it to the hospital to do my workup.

It turned out to be a starling with a hurt right wing. I was relieved not to feel any fractures. When I moved the feathers at the shoulder I was able to see some soft tissue bruising. Given the spunk this bird had, I was pretty sure he was going to be just fine.

I set up one of the dog kennels with water, food and a perch. Spotz (couldn’t resist naming it) marched around, I think to make sure I’d done it right and settled down for the night. When I got in the next morning, it looked like he’d thrown a party or tried to make a break for it. He was clearly feeling much better. I didn’t bother calling the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, Spotz and I walked outside and off he went. A great start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment