Sunday, January 16, 2011

And you thought your pet had a lot of dandruff!!!


This time of year it is very common for me to get questions regarding the amount of dandruff owners are finding on their animals. Alberta has such a dry climate and when it gets this wonderfully cold (heavy sarcasm!!!) their skin gets dry just like ours. Sometimes it is worth trying a fatty acid supplement (one with eicosapentoic acid gives the best results) or sometimes changing the diet. Please consult with your regular veterinarian to make sure it is appropriate for your pet.

Now, I would like to help you keep your dander frustration in perspective. I have a few clients who own Golden Retrievers who suffer from a condition called Ichthyosis. This is a congenital (inherited) skin disorder where the dandruff comes off as large flaking scales. The picture I have included is from one of my patients, who I’ve been asked to call “Cutie”. Cutie’s owners comb her out on a twice daily basis.

Ichthyosis can be fairly intense to deal with, in that we need to try foods that support the skin and a variety of supplements. There is also a new line of products to help owners control the amount of flaking – shampoo, spray and/or topical drops. Now, I am saying control, there is no cure for this disease.

At the moment, we know we have fairly good control of Cutie’s ichthyosis as her flakes are only 1cm in diameter. The combined dander from all four of my dogs is nothing in comparison!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment